In-wall and Related

New England Drywall in-wall and related blocking services. Some blocking is used structurally like cross bracing between joists in a subfloor to prevent buckling and stiffen the floor. This use is also called block bridging, solid bridging, and solid strutting.

Blocks are spacers between studs such as where an interior wall attaches an exterior wall and for framing corners such as a “three-stud corner with blocking”.

Blocking is used for panel edge supports such as sheets of drywall or plywood also called back blocking

Blocking, often called backing or sometimes grounds, also refers to pieces of wood or other material that run between wall studs in order to provide support and attachment sites for mounted hardware or trim such as cabinets, shelving, handrails, vanity tops without a cabinet underneath,  and moulding. Properly installed blocking is easier to find and use for attaching wall hardware than studs alone. Once drywall, or any other material, covers the wall it can be difficult to find 2×4 studs for attachment, and the position of nails and screws must be adjusted to stud location. Thus, if blocking is installed at a uniform and predetermined height, attachment sites can be found without using a stud finder, and the blocking can be utilized anywhere along a wall at that height. This is particularly useful for installing upper cabinets  or shelving as they tend to be fairly heavy and finding appropriate studs for installation can be difficult. From our friends at Wikipedia.